Sunday, December 28, 2014

Importance of the Mundane

The people you pass by and dismiss almost unnoticed are the ones who hold the mundane jobs that most of us would not choose to do. These are the people that we need to go out of your way to notice because they are the people that really do make the world go around. If it were not for them doing the jobs that nobody else wants, society would screech to a very loud whining, kicking and screaming, tantrum filled and complaining halt.
One of these such persons is a security officer who diligently mans the booth to the entrance of an office complex that I have the pleasure to infrequent. He’s an older gentleman who greets every person with a warm welcome and a smile one after another all day long. Most of the people stopping at his toll are not in the best of moods entering the lot but are even more displeased when they are asked to fork over the five dollars for parking. Our amazing officer maintains his smile and good nature regardless of the comments or behaviour of the persons being dealt with.
Who else in the entire world is more deserving of a random act of kindness if not him? Everyone just like him is the right answer. The first thing I need to do is step out of my own skin for a split second to notice people like this. Open my mind ever so slightly. Realize that my life is not the only one going on right now and people like him are everywhere.
Now there is a nationally known coffee shop inside this complex. As I stood in line awaiting my turn to be served, my thoughts fell upon this ever pleasant officer. How often does he get to come into the building to take advantage of this coffee shop and its services? Not often if at all I would guess. Being on the outside looking into his booth it appeared very sparse to say the least. In my brief encounter I did not notice a coffee machine or even a microwave oven. So a large coffee and a snack is the very least he deserves.  
So with purchases in hand I make my way back to my vehicle and begin to exit the parking lot. I pull up to the window on the exit side of his booth. This takes him by surprise as people do not usually stop while exiting. He comes across the booth and slides the window open. All while maintaining that smile he had greeted me with earlier upon entering. I handed him the coffee and the bag and simply said “this is for you. I thought you might like a coffee”.
When presented with these unexpected gifts, his surprise and excitement began escaping in a lasting round of thank you. He was genuinely grateful for being given a hot coffee and a pastry surprise in a brown paper bag. A rather insignificant amount of money became a rather significant event in someone’s life.
No sir, thank YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work sweet cheeks!! People need superman in their lives.

    ReplyDelete