Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Brighter Earlier



Feelings of anticipation are usually measured in degrees or levels of intensity that can only be described using metaphor. The only thing that I'm aware of that cannot be described by comparing it to anything else is the feeling of anticipation I get when I realize that the sun is not setting as early as it used to at the end of the work day. This one has a feeling all to itself.
The Sun is staying brighter later in the day and rises earlier in the morning. A clear revelation that winter is slowly coming to an end. And I do mean slowly. And it’s all because of that damned ground-hog too. I begin to envision having barbecues in the back yard, fishing at the lake, coolers filled with “beverages”, road trips or hikes in the woods, camping trips and summer vacations that I've been planning, all the while tolerating the past cold months that seem be hanging on a lot longer than necessary.
My spirits are always brightened as I no longer venture to and from my place of employment in darkness. It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen at a gradual pace that extends my feeling of elation a little bit more each day. This anticipation of summer fun is almost its own season within the seasons. As the weather still varies in and out of its frozen state the days slowly brighten as do my spirits right along with it. The bounce gradually returns to my step.

People’s attitudes change noticeably as thoughts and conversations shift from dull and dreary to bright and up-beat. The anticipation of warmer weather and outdoor activities is infectious. Passing along this enlightened mood to someone else would be a welcome epidemic any doctor would agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment